Monday, April 15, 2013

What to Wear: Test Day

This past Saturday was the oh so dreaded day when I took my ACT. For those of you who aren't aware what the ACT is, the ACT is a standardized test which one commonly takes in 11th or 12th grade for college admission. It consists of four sections- English, Math, Science and Reading-  and includes an optional writing portion that is required by some colleges. Subject scores range from a 1 to a 36, and are later all added up to equal a composite score which is your average. 
I've always been quite an anxious person, so it was no surprise to me that I would find myself throwing up, crying, and cold from head to toe the day before the exam. Despite this, I tried to force myself to go to sleep at a reasonable time to get a good night sleep but well, things didn't go according to plan. I found myself turning from left to right on my bed and got out of bed at 4 in the morning giving up on the attempt of sleeping. Since I wasn't scheduled to be at the testing center until 8, I showered and finished putting all my things together.
Once I got to the testing center, I walked to my designated room and took my assigned seat. As I had mentioned in a previous post, I have a habit of overpacking. I opened my bag and had to navigate through it to search for my pencils and eraser. By the time I finished gathering all my supplies, most of the room had been filled up by sleepy teenagers in sweatpants, crocs, and hoodies. A fashion disaster if you ask me! Which reminds me of why I first started writing this post. I wanted to share my experience and give you advice for your big test day, so if you're interested keep reading on(:

What to Wear:
I understand that one wishes to be comfortable on such a long test, but why turn yourself into a walking fashion crime when you can look cute and still look fashionable! Below are some of my outfit suggestions for your big test day:
My first outfit suggestion consists of a more laid-back look. A simple black top and leggings can never go wrong and will guarantee you to not get distracted by the bright colors. Make sure to bring a hoodie/sweater to keep you warm because some rooms seem like a freezer room. Lastly, bring a watch to help you keep track of the time.

For those of you who prefer a more put together look, you can never go wrong with some trousers and a sweater. The oxfords add a nice touch to it, and a side ponytail will keep all the hairs away from you face.


What to Bring:
To avoid bringing more things than necessary or forgetting something, check out the photo:
  1. Bring pencils! For the ACT they do not allow mechanical pencils, so make sure you bring plenty of pencils. 
  2. Calculators are allowed for the math portion, but make sure you check what models are prohibited beforehand.
  3. After being stuck in a room for almost 5 hours, you're bound to be thirsty so make sure to bring a water bottle.
  4. Breaks are only 10 minutes, so bring a snack to eat in case you get hungry.
  5. Some form of identification is needed to be allowed, so bring an ID or passport.
  6. Studies have shown that gum helps people concentrate, so I'd highly suggest to bring some.
  7. Hair ties
  8. An eraser
  9. Some rooms may not have a sharpener so I suggest for you to bring a portable sharpener. 

Hopefully these tips helped you and stay tune for other posts!
- Ashley(:

No comments:

Post a Comment